Ayn Rand University /

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith Lockitch

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Foundations of Physical Science!

Classes begin next week, and I look forward to seeing you all there.

Here’s some information to get you started.

1. Course website: If you have not yet been on the course website, please take a look: https://university.aynrand.org/courses/foundations-of-physical-science-motion-and-gravitation/

You can view the course syllabus and get oriented to what we’ll be covering.

2. Textbooks: If you haven’t already done so, be sure to order a copy of the two textbooks we’ll be using in the course (Kindle or paperback editions are acceptable):

a. The Logical Leap by David Harriman.
      b. The Stars: A New Way to See Them, H. A. Rey

The first readings are from the H.A. Rey book, so be sure to obtain that one as soon as possible.

3. Reading for the first class:
      H. A. Rey, The Stars: A New Way to See Them

a.  Part One “Shapes in the Sky” (pp. 9-24)

(If you are unable to complete this reading before the first class next Tuesday, it’s not a major problem.)

4. Recommended Background Material:

a. History of Philosophy by Leonard Peikoff (Lecture course on courses.aynrand.org)

• Lectures 1 through 20 are the most relevant as background material
        • It is not required that you listen (or re-listen) to this course, but it will be helpful to review at least the first few lessons. Some of these will be assigned as required “listenings” in Week 02.

5. Class Times & Office Hours:

a. Class will meet Tuesdays, 11:30am-1:30 pm Pacific time.
      b. Extended discussion/office hour: Tuesdays, 1:30-2:30pm Pacific time.
      c. Additional open office hour: Thursdays, 9:00am – 10:00am Pacific time.
      –     If you cannot attend during these times, email me to schedule an appointment.

6. Math Level of Difficulty quiz:

I’ve created a short multiple-choice quiz intended to gauge your level of math ability. This will not count towards your grade in the course, it’s just meant to give me a sense of where people stand with regard to some of the math we’ll be using in the course.

You can find the quiz as a PDF in Week 1, under “Homework Questions.” You can print it out, answer it on paper and then upload a scan of your results.

Please go ahead and complete the quiz as soon as possible before class next Tuesday. Auditors, please feel free to do this as well.

7. Special greeting to Auditors:

Welcome to the course! You can feel free to do the homework assignments and even submit them. This is completely optional for you. They will not be graded; but I will be posting or otherwise communicating my answers to the homework questions, so you’ll be able to compare your answers to mine and get feedback that way.

If you have any questions about enrollment or course mechanics, please email [email protected].

If you have questions about the course content, please email me at [email protected].

Looking forward to seeing you all in class soon!

Cheers,

–Keith

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 1985 – 2021 The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI). Reproduction of content and images in whole or in part is prohibited. All rights reserved. ARI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Contributions to ARI in the United States are tax-exempt to the extent provided by law. Objectivist Conferences (OCON) and the Ayn Rand Institute eStore are operated by ARI. Payments to OCON or the Ayn Rand Institute eStore do not qualify as tax-deductible contributions to the Ayn Rand Institute. Ayn Rand® is a registered trademark and is used by permission.